We want to ensure that we are as transparent as possible from the outset of your matter. Prior to undertaking any work on your file, we will notify you of the legal fees, expenses and any disbursements involved. You will be provided with our Letter of Engagement and Terms of Business for you to read through, agree and sign.
All fees we have quoted below are exclusive of disbursements, court fees barrister or expert fees. Our fees are subject to VAT charged at 20%.
The fees outlined below are estimates and may vary depending on the circumstances of your matter.
Fixed Fee Agreements
We understand that legal disputes can be distressing, we therefore offer a fixed fee service designed to give our client’s peace of mind by putting an end to the fear of spiraling legal costs.
A member of our team will review your individual situation and offer, where possible, a fixed fee quote that has been tailored specifically to you.
|Partners:||£280 per hour plus VAT|
|Associate Solicitors:||£200 per hour plus VAT|
|Trainee Solicitors:||£140 per hour plus of VAT|
|Junior Executives:||£120 per hour plus VAT|
In debt recovery matters, our work is likely to include the following stages:
The cost estimates below are provided on the basis that:
Once we have considered your case, we may be able to offer you a fixed fee agreement. Otherwise, the work we carry out is dependent on the time spent and charged at an hourly rate of £280 plus VAT, plus disbursements as follows:
The disbursement that may apply in your matter is the barrister fees to draft the Particulars of Claim, charged usually in the region of £1,000 to £2,000 plus VAT.
There is also the cost of process servers to personally serve documents, the fees for process servers range from £150 to £250 plus VAT.
Unless the matter is resolved without the need for court proceedings, it may take between 10 to 18 months for the matter to be resolved if court proceedings are issued.
Simple Will From £350 plus VAT
Simple Mirror Wills From £550 plus VAT
Complex Will £280 plus VAT per hour
The fees involved in a Probate matter can vary and this will depend on the individual circumstances of each case.
We provide a fixed fee agreement where Personal Representatives instruct us to obtain the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration in simple estates, so they can then deal with the administration of the estate themselves.
Otherwise, our Probate fees are charged at an hourly rate of £280 plus VAT, plus disbursements.
Grant of Representation only
The fees quoted below are for applications where the Personal Representatives are providing the necessary details of the assets in the estate.
• Fixed Fee for grant of representation only, where the IHT205 is required; our fees start from £1,500 plus VAT, plus disbursements;
• Fixed Fees for Grant of Representation only, where the IHT 400 is required; our fees start from £2,000, plus VAT, plus disbursements.
Dealing with the entire estate
We can help you through the whole process by obtaining the Grant of Representation and then continue to administer the estate on your behalf.
The following estimates of our fees are for undertaking the full process on your behalf:
• Estate value of up to £50,000 without a property and up to 4 accounts; estimated on 8-10 hours of time, our approximate fees are likely to be in the region of £,2240 to £2,800;
• Estate Value between £50,000 to £100,000 without a property and up to 6 accounts estimated on 10-16 hours of time, our approximate fees are likely to be in the region of £2,800 to £4,480;
• Estate Value £100,000 to £325,000 to include a property and up to 12 investments estimated on 16-30 hours of time, our approximate fees are likely to be in the region of £4,480 to £8,400;
• Estate value £325,000 to £650,000 to include a property and up to 16 investments estimated on 20-40 hours of time, our approximate fees are likely to be in the region of £5,600 to £11,200;
• Estate value £650,000 to £2,000,000 to include a property and up to 30 investments estimated on 30-120 hours of time, our approximate fees are likely to be in the region of £8,400 to £33,600.
• Estate value above £2,000,000 will require us to consider the matter and provide estimates accordingly.
The disbursements that are excluded from our fees are as follows:
• Probate Court Fees: £155 and £1 each for sealed copy.
• Oath Swearing Fees: up to £10 per person.
• Land Registry Fees: £3 per property.
• Land Registry fee on registration of beneficiaries: £40.
• Post in the London Gazette: From £73.20.
• Post in the Local Newspaper: fee varies.
In addition to the fees detailed above, an additional fee may be charged if the estate involves any of the following:
• The cost of selling or transferring a property
• Tracing beneficiaries
• Tracing a lost Will
• Tracing lost assets
• Replacing lost share certificates
• Sorting through numerous papers
• Missing title deeds
• Trusts in which the deceased had an interest which need to be considered
• Agricultural or business property
• Private company shares
• Foreign assets and or investments
• Specialist assets e.g. private collections, antiques
• The estate is subject to Inheritance Tax
• There are complex tax issues
• Tax advice
• Threatened, anticipated or actual litigation
• Disputes between beneficiaries
• The renunciation of an executor
• Unclear terms of a Will
• Deeds of variation or disclaimer
• Premium for an indemnity insurance policy, for example if the beneficiaries cannot be traced
Dealing with a typical estate will take between 3 – 12 months. Generally, the time taken to obtain the Grant of Probate will take up to 3 months, followed by the collection of assets and distribution of the assets which can take a further 1 -10 months. Some complex estates involving IHT considerations can take up to 2 years to settle.